It's time to open up and finally share the news about the new version.
We’ve changed the concept. As I’ve mentioned earlier it will be a new product devoted to not just scripts (though we’ll start with that) but any kind of stories in general. So, we came up with the appropriate name - Story Architect (‘Starc’). We’ve launched a website and social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) so you could subscribe and follow the news.
Although this version is still very early its already a working MVP:
- An unlimited number of stories for your project;
- An unlimited number of scripts within each story;
- Text typing works and as well as saving;
- A very basic scenario navigator;
- Some settings also work.
The most important forthcoming improvements:
- Adding template library;
- Dual dialogues in the script editor;
- Automatic page breakup;
- Undo/Redo the last action in the script editor.
The plans are huge! We’ve published basic milestones on the website and will keep you informed on what’s up via social networks. We’ll try to issue important updates in a timely manner and keep you guys entertained in the meantime.
We are happy to announce the beginning of closed beta testing! If you are willing to be one of the first users and help us test out the app feel free to leave us your e-mail on the website. We will make beta available gradually to be able to process feedback promptly and fix bugs, while continuing to go through the features backlog.
In case you need extra motivation we’ll host a contest after the beta test for those super active users that helped us with the most detailed feedback.
KIT will get a couple more updates fixing some critical errors and adding new localizations. As soon as STARC can functionally replace KIT its further development will be postponed, though the app itself will remain available for installation and use.
Please follow STARC below and sign up for a beta test! See you soon, friends! :)
Here comes the news! I've worked on stability and I'm ready to release the next update of KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 rc9h. It includes the following:
- Improved import of fdx documents
- When importing docx documents, the default text language will be the same as used in the app
- Added a Greek spelling check dictionary
- The functionality of the character drop-down list when working with the script has been slightly improved
- Fixed the problem of undoing the last action, which sometimes resulted in the deletion of the script text
- Fixed a problem when after importing the page fields in the script editor were mislabeled
- Fixed a problem that caused text formatting (bold / cursive / underline) to be reset when changing a color scheme
- Development items will now be deleted by clicking the Delete button instead of Backspace
- Information text has been improved to indicate the occurrence of conflicting versions
- In collaborative mode, when access to the script is open for comment, the co-author is restricted to copy the selected text of the script
- Fixed problems with project synchronization when working with comments and selections
Next on the schedule is the update of the mobile version.
P.S. On Tuesday we will publish the first details about version 2.0 and will open a record of those willing to participate in a closed Beta test.
Hello friends! We have not been heard for a long time...
There are several reasons for this, and today I'll finally tell you what’s going on here, what news and plans.
Let's begin with that the KIT Scenarist update 0.7.2 rc9g was published yesterday. It included the correction of an error when the synopsis or logline of one project time to time was replaced by data from another project, as well as improved synchronization for scripts with a large number of review notes (color emphasis, comments).
As for the news, then everything is not so simple :)
Life has been so challenging in the last two months that I'm still recovering... Health, family, everything is downhill... the collapse of plans... a feeling of complete meaninglessness of my own actions... and a tearing feeling of loneliness and uselessness to anyone...
But time passes, and I bit by bit getting out. I am glad that I managed to let go of much of what I was trying to grab onto, sinking deeper and lower, various fears and prejudices, meaningless promises and obsessions. Now I'm back on my feet. I’m standing firmly, which means we will continue to go towards our goal - to make the best software for writers! During this time, a lot of debts rolled up, the feedback has been hanging in the mail since October... I really apologize for not responding right away. During this week, I’ll answer to everybody and try not to repeat it from now on.
And by the way, now I have every right to speak WE! The fact is that throughout all this time I received several offers from the studios for cooperation. To my great regret, they all looked like this - I give all the rights, all the developments, sit in their office for salary and now I’m continue to improve my own/develop new software according to the technical requirements of the studio... To be honest, all these years that I was developing KIT Scenarist, I just dreamed that a big production would come and take it under the wing. I think that it would be right for such specialized software to emerge under the wing of large and experienced production workers and then go out to the world. But...
Something went wrong in this scheme :) and so I decided to give up studio money and find the same crazies as I, who are ready to make a great product and change the world! And such guys were found! Now there are three of us, we are all from IT, we don’t understand the cinema business, but I think we’ll rock it! I will not represent everyone yet, but I think I will do it during the public launch of version 2.0.
So, now speak a bit about version 2.0.
It will not be just a version of KIT Scenarist 2.0, but it will be a completely new product and a new brand.
These will be two versions:
+ free version - it will include all the basic functions for working with the script (in fact, the script tab from the current KIT Scenarist, plus the ability to work on the text of the logline, synopsis, as well as the ability to create an unlimited number of scripts in one project);
+ pro version - will include all the features of the free version plus additional features: cards, mind maps, text documents, folders, advanced editors of characters, locations, worlds, images, project statistics, reports, showrunner tools and more.
Plus, there will also be the ability to syncing projects and work on documents with coauthors in real-time. This will be a completely new service in which we take into account all the issues encountered in the current version. The real-time collaboration will be available for all documents, even cards, and mental cards.
According to new plans, we expect to release the first beta version in March. Access to it will be available only to crowdfunding participants. And in May, we’ll launch a public beta test.
How are you guys here? Do you get your finger crossed for us?:)
P.S. The app on the screenshot has a custom theme. Yes, in the new version you can create your own color theme for the application.
Today we publish an update of KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 rc9f, which includes:
- fix of a program crash in some cases when printing;
- improved synchronization and conflict management for offline changes;
- added support for Mac OS X Catalina;
- added Swedish interface translation.
P.S. I apologize for the long answers lately ... I am moving according to the plan - I need to work on a new version (I think that this will not even be a new version of KIT, but a new product), but! however, I do not abandon the current version and plan gradual improvements and fixes to the most critical problems. After this update, updates will be released for mobile versions, first for iOS, and then I will work on the version for Android (which has been abandoned for various reasons, but now we will update and improve it). Well, in parallel, I will process all incoming mail and I will definitely answer every one!
Today we publish the next patch-release KIT Scenarist 0.7.2 rc9e. It includes:
- fixed the problem of saving synopsis in some cases;
- in the Windows version, the ability to activate scaling for high-DPI screen added (you can find a checkbox in the - Settings - Application - General). This should solve the problem when some PC display all the program interface elements too small.
We have another update! KIT Scenarist version 0.7.2 rc9b included the following improvements:
- fixed a problem with a huge interface size this time for Windows;
- fixed the problem with saving review marks and formatting text that fall on page breaks;
- fixed a problem with applying text formatting in a script.
Have a good week! :)
P.S. Today (September 24, 2019) I posted an update that fixes the problem with creating the "Scene heading" blocks in the script introduced by the previous update.