We released KIT Scenarist version 0.7.1 beta 4. It includes the ability to check and install application updates.
Also, we fixed a couple of shortcomings:
• improved algorithm for determining the scenes when importing *.docx-files;
• fixed a problem with the appearance of broken review comment when deleting text;
• we prepared rpm-packages for Linux.
In addition, today we are launching an open test of the cloud service. Anyone who previously registered in the cloud, you will need to change the password. For those who don't have an account, you can create a new one (it can be done directly in the program). Free access to work with the cloud will be open until May 1, 2017. On April 1, 2017, we will plan to transfer cloud service in production mode.
Read more about the cloud service:
• it allows you to store your projects in the cloud and access them directly from the program on all computers without work with any third-party service (in the future projects from the cloud can also be synced to and from the mobile version of the program);
• to projects in the cloud, you can connect the co-authors or editors, for this purposes we prepared two roles for partners: commentator and editor, with appropriate restrictions for editing text or without them;
• you can work with cloud projects both online and offline, all the changes you have made in the absence of the Internet will be synchronized when you reconnect to the Internet;
• in the cloud you have 2 GB of disk space to store own projects;
• when cloud service will work stable, access to it will operate on a subscription. Projects will be deleted from the cloud if you have not activated the subscription within 30 days from the date of its completion. During this time, (and indeed at any time), you can save a local copy of every project from the cloud.
And finally, an introductory video on how to work with the cloud service in the program:
Enjoy watching and have a nice day!:)
And here is the next beta version KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 beta 3 is published!
It added another useful feature - group cards.
What do you need to do for this?
1. Add a new card to the act, which will group the other cards.
2. Call context menu of this card and select the item "Convert to folder"
3. Drag and drop your cards into the group.
And other bugs was fixed, namely:
• fixed a problem with re-editing the description of the scene in the cards;
• now the mindmaps scene will be exactly the size as you need for the scheme.
Perhaps this will be the last innovation in the current version. Next only to debug and polish the current functionality. But this does not mean that we'll stop development - no! I still have a lot of ideas on how we can improve the work with the cards, but see it in the following episode! Stay with us!;)
I want to say thank you for fast feedback and error reports. I already prepared the next beta version. It adds functional for printing cards. You can print them into Index Cards or on other paper, just specify cards count per page.
And in the second beta we fixed all critical bugs which were found in the first beta:
• fixed problems with the research module (flickering, freezing, crashing by using the context menu, and when you update the project name);
• on the card now displayed scene number;
• finally fixed the problem with the duplicate description of the scene (that sometimes also resulted in a freeze of the program);
• refined dialog for creating/editing card;
• updated translation files;
• improved drawing cards and acts;
• fixes many problems with the cards (problems with drag and drop cards into the acts, the problem with the change its titles and descriptions);
• fixed a problem transferring the text from the synopsis to outline and further work on it;
• improved algorithms for text correction (smart quotes, DOuble CApitals and other).
Thanks for the help! Tests continue! :)
We have a news - new version released today! KIT Scenarist 0.7.1 beta 1 is ready for use!
So, what's new!?
First, cards module was fully rewritten. Why do I decide to do that? because first was bad. I wanted to take other finished open source diagram editor, polish it and integrate it to Scenarist, but is was not very good... The editor itself contained a large number of errors, which were opened not at once, and, frankly, just do something great, super versatile failed. Well, we are not accustomed to give up - I thought, thought and decided that we should start with the bare minimum, gradually developing it. So I rewrote the editor of cards. Now it allows you to simply lay out the cards in sequence, grouping them into acts. When this functionality will work perfectly, I will expand it, of course, if it will be needed.
Secondly, the characters and locations have moved to the research module. Now they can do all the same as before plus we added the ability to add to each character any number of any research item by grouping them as needed. And with this release, the characters and locations can be reordered way you want, for example, that the main characters were the first, and you do not have to find them among the rest.
Well and thirdly a number of other, smaller improvements:
• added Ukrainian and German translations of the program;
• groups of scenes fully removed from the program. Now for the scenes grouping, you can only use the folders. Groups of scenes in the old projects will be converted to folders;
• changed the dialogue of adding new projects, and now when creating a new project, you can specify the file to be imported;
• in Mac OS X can now open multiple copies of the application, you needs to open the context menu icon in the Dock and choose "New Window" menu item;
• fixes bugs related to grouping/moving scenes and folders;
• fixed an issue with using the special characters in the title scenes;
• now the program will allow you to open projects from newer versions in the compatibility mode;
• fixed a problem with the infinite duplicating of the description of the first scene;
• as well as minor changes in user interface.
Well, as usual, in view of the fact that this is a beta, do not forget to save a copy of the working draft, in the event that it was possible to revert to a previous version.
So far, in the future plans to develop card to a good level. Make it so that they were easy to use. In a parallel development run mobile versions of software for Android and iOS.
P.S. By the way, we started twitter! If you want to get the news out there, here we are - https://twitter.com/kitscenarist!
P.P.S. And yet, we have to actively use GitHub for tracking tasks and errors detected, if you are want to look at our inner kitchen, you can do so here - https://github.com/dimkanovikov/KITScenarist/issues. Anyway, you can report errors directly there, and when the error is fixed, system will send notification to you!;)
Hi folks! Our friend Pedro Terrero published a video presentation of KIT Scenarist in Spanish! He also made small blog post. If Spanish is your native language or you can read it with the dictionary or with google translate you can read post by link - https://www.creatubers.com/escribe-t...kit-scenarist/
It's great to see how our project is crossing through one more barrier - through language barrier!
Today we are started closed beta-test of the cloud service. I think that we will fix all troubles detected in beta-test in next month and beta-test will moved from closed to open.
Anyone who has had time to apply for participation in the closed testing during the day will be sent an email with further instructions.
It was a long way. It starts about 2 years ago and I very happy that the last summer one guy was connected to project and helps me to go forward without looking back when I was exhausted. And I with a big pleasure want to tell about him!
In spring's end I think: it will be cool if other developer connects to project! And I posted message with this idea to different forums and resources. Guys was looked at the project, said: "Good job!" and nothing more...
When I was not expecting anything, I got a message from Alexey: "Hi! I saw your message about you search developers at linux.org.ru. Is actual yet?". I remember - when I found this post I was jumping with excitement to the ceiling!:)
We discussed our collaboration. Alexey told about his experience (he is a student in MSU and has some experience with all required systems). I decided that this is enough, the main thing that he have interest and desire to grow. And we started our collaboration.
To this moment I had experience of managing small development teams and it was not so exciting… Often I had to motivate people to do something but they didn't want to do anything. This is quite different. Alex is not very experienced, of course he makes mistakes, but he is not ashamed of them, he is normal to accepts criticism and accepts it with pleasure. He takes the initiative, arguing (respect!), and of course brings a fresh wind. It is very valuable for me. This is a new milestone in the evolution of the project and in my own professional growth too (I think that for Alexey this is useful experience too).
While we warmed up on simple tasks, it turned out that Alex likes to develop things related to network technologies. I suggested that he take up the part of the cloud service, and he agreed. And so we gradually, brick by brick have redesigned cloud service. And now it had improved considerably and is ready for the first test, because of this I want to say thank you, Alex! From the heart!
So, our gang became larger and the project became a much better!
Finally, I've prepared a video about how to use cloud service in the program. I decided, that I will make a video overview for every program update that includes new features. I think, it will be helpful.
Enjoy watching and be ready to start public testing!
So we went together another year. It was an interesting year, complex and rich in different events. And I want to finish it with a good news - today comes stable version 0.7.0 KIT Scenarist! After the release of the previous beta we didn't noticed any critical bugs, so we move it in a stable status. You can read about all innovations of version 0.7.0 in links: beta 1, beta 2, beta 3, beta 4, beta 5 and beta 6.
I hope you all liked the way we passed the previous year. We have grown strongly and now want to set even more ambitious and exciting goals for the next year. I have a very long wanted to share them, and now I'm ready to do it!
What awaits us in 2017!?
Next year, I will continue to develop our program, it also will remain free and open to everyone, but other than that, I want to develop more services that will be paid. These will include cloud services and mobile applications. So, let's look at the detail plan in 2017:
0.7.0 Cloud - in January, I am planning to start closed beta testing of cloud service. It will include collaborate writing of script and store your scripts in cloud, but you always can work with it in offline mode.
0.7.1 Research - then there will be a renewed version of the research module. I plan to move the characters and locations in the research, improve the work with them, their storage, implement the ability of data filtering, adding new kinds of materials and many other improvements.
0.7.1 Cloud and mobile versions - then, as planned cloud version of software for public testing is to be published. Also I plan to release mobile versions for iOS and Android devices. Mobile apps at this stage will include only a text editor and will only work with local files.
0.7.2 Cards - then I want to release a version, which will be rethought card module. Now work with the cards get a few tricky and I already have some ideas on this unit, but so far they have a little lie down for better implementation.
0.7.3. Cloud - then the cloud service will include synchronization of cards, and we will move it to the battle mode.
0.7.4 Script Editor - the next version will include a number of global improvements of the module with the text script. It will improved templates system, allowing you to create more flexible templates, such as plays or comic books, it will be implemented features such as automatic corrections of the text on the page breaks, blocking the scene number, bookmarks and much more.
0.7.4 Mobile and cloud with cards - and then released a mobile application that will support the ability to work with the cards and synchronize with the cloud service.
0.7.5 Statistics - and finish in 2017 will be updated with improved statistics module.
But beginning in 2018 should be very hot and like to see it greeted us with version 0.8.0, which will be available the opportunity to work with several series in one project.
There are the our plans :)
I want to thank everyone for your support, for your comments, for what you share error detection and help fix them. Thanks to everyone who in one way or another involved in the life of the project in the past year! And if you are still interested, then stay with us, together will surely be fun!
On a personal note I want to wish all of us to be a little kinder to the next year to write the good and honest stories, stories that I would like to watch with children! I do not know what sort of trends in the industry, but I personally would like to see in the coming year there were more family, kind and pure cinema that is through laughter and tears would be cleansed hearts of the audience, thought-provoking and become all of us better! Thank you!
Happy New Year!